Organized by the Saint Paul Winter Carnival Vulcans, Snow Park at the Fair takes place on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds and features many great activities for families. Events run Friday, January 27 through Sunday, February 5, 2017.
The Snow Park is SNOW much fun! Daily attractions include zooming down the giant snow slide, playing on giant snow piles, and viewing snow sculptures (exhibition pieces as well as entries from the Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition and the Snow Park at the Fair Amateur Snow Sculpting Contest). Vulcan Fun Day (Sunday, January 29, 2017) features a host of other family-friendly activities, including fire truck rides, scavenger hunts, the snow sculpting competition awards ceremony, and (new for 2017) a Special Olympics Minnesota Polar Plunge event.
Thanks to generous sponsors, admission to the Snow Park is free. Free Fairgrounds street parking is also available. (You may need to park further away and walk a bit depending on the number of visitors when you get there.) Fairground facilities will not be open, but there are plenty of port-a-potties on site (including several extra-large ones for ease of changing out of snow gear).
- Annual Snow Stomp
Saturday, Jan 21 – Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 | 9 am to 4 pm
Come see how the giant snow blocks are made. Better yet, jump in and help!
- 2017 Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition
Friday, Jan 27 – Sunday, Jan 29, 2017 | times vary
Three-person teams from around Minnesota create giant sculptures over three days. Come watch them take shape, or enter your own team! Vote for your favorite sculpture on Sunday and stay for the awards ceremony.
- 2017 Amateur Snow Sculpting Contest
Saturday, Jan 28, 2017| 8 am to 4 pm
Teams tackle smaller blocks of snow to create a sculpture in just one day. Come watch them take shape, or enter your own team!
- Snow Sculpture Viewing
Friday, Jan 27 – Sunday, Feb 5, 2017 | 9 am to 10 pm
Visitors are encouraged to come out to the Snow Park to watch sculptors at work during opening weekend (Jan 27-29). Finished sculptures remain on display for the duration of the Winter Carnival and are individually lit after dark.
- Giant Snow Slide
Saturday, Jan 27 – Saturday, Feb 4, 2017 | times vary
Zoom down the giant slide! $2 per run; sleds provided. Check the slide schedule for giveaway events!
- Vulcan Fun Day
Sunday, Jan 29, 2017 | 11 am to 3 pm
Vulcan Fun Day at the Snow Park is a big day full of great family activities. Come join the party!
- Snow Park Polar Plunge
Sunday, Jan 29, 2017 | 12 to 1:30 pm
The Saint Paul Winter Carnival Vulcans are thrilled to be partnering with Special Olympics Minnesota to host a Polar Plunge event!
The Snow Park is located on the Kidway of the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, two blocks west of Snelling Avenue and one block north of Dan Patch Avenue. Trying to find us using GPS? Use the Crossroads Chapel address: 1362 Underwood Street, St. Paul, MN 55113. (View Google map)
We want all visitors to have fun AND be safe. Please follow these simple safety rules when visiting the Snow Park:
- Watch your step! Ground conditions can be icy or slippery.
- Dress for the weather and plan to stay on site for at least an hour. (There’s so much to see and do!)
- Do not touch or climb on the competition or exhibition sculptures at any time.
- Keep clear of sculptors’ work areas and equipment. The sculptors are working hard and fast, and tools and ladders can get scattered.
- Do not approach a competition sculpture unless invited by a sculptor. Sculptures in progress can be hazardous.
- Stay well clear of all mechanical equipment and be aware of snow clearing equipment in motion. We use front loaders to move snow around almost all the time, and the drivers may not see you if you walk behind them.
- Do not climb or use the snow slide when it’s not open.
- Do not climb up the sides of the snow slide at any time.
- Don’t enter the area at the bottom of the slide, and clear it quickly after coming down the slide.
Sponsorship and volunteer opportunities, fun Snow Park facts, and complete information about the Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition and the Snow Park at the Fair Amateur Snow Sculpting Contest can be found at mnsnowpark.com.